A birth of a child born in Japan may be registered by the parents (Sri Lankan Citizen/s) at the Embassy of Sri Lanka in Tokyo. The Application for citizenship has to be made at the time of registration of birth of the child. If not, a duly completed application form should be forwarded to the Embassy with the required documents, within a period of one year from the date of birth of the child.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 June 2012 18:49
1. The duly completed Application for Registration of a Birth outside Sri Lanka.
( Form I : Ceylon Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 in duplicate (Please get a photocopy from
the original.) Download
Form II: Declaration of Birth under Section 16 in duplicate. (This form is required when registration is done within 03 months of birth of child.) Download
Form III: Declaration of birth under Section 24 in duplicate. (This form is required when
registration is done after 03 months of the birth of child.) Download
2. ‘Declaration of Citizenship’ by father of the child in duplicate. Download
3. Two sets of photocopies of the above documents submitted under ‘Registration of Birth’ should be provided by the applicant to the Embassy.
4. A letter of request may be sent by post along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
5. If the child's birth is not registered with the Embassy within the same year, a delay charge of JPY 1,500 has to be paid for each delayed year.
All application forms should be completed in English.